Friday, April 8, 2011

Elizabeth Taylor


Several things happened while I was recovering but the saddest was the passing of Elizabeth Taylor. I was in hospital and doing some web browsing on my iphone when a forum I read had a post headed Elizabeth Taylor r.i.p. I headed over to a news site only to find out that is was true and she had passed away.

Growing up I watched many of her movies as she is my mothers favorite actress. My mother was also known as the Elizabeth Taylor of our area by the gossips due to the fact she was engaged 7 times & married 3 by the time she was 32 (I am happy to report that the 3rd marriage that happened in 1985 is still going strong today).

Apart from her beauty, her talent & her amazing collection of jewels (& husbands) I remember Elizabeth for 2 major things. I remember when she went to rehab at Betty Ford and actually gave an honest interview about her addictions and rehab. I do not remember any famous person being so honest before and she practically made rehab trendy as after that many celebs then started speaking out about their experience.

The other thing I admired about her was her work in raising money & awareness in relation to aids. At a time when this disease was so misunderstood and so many people had ridiculous ideas about it (anyone old enough to remember Rock Hudson appearing on Dynasty & having a kissing scene with Linda Evans may remember the huge fuss this caused when it was revealed he had aids. People were saying how irresponsible it was of him to kiss Linda knowing of his illness and even saying she would have to be tested for the disease). Elizabeth put her name & star power behind this cause and did everything she could to raise awareness & educate people about this disease. Its thanks to her AMFAR was established and until her passing she continued to do all she could to raise money for her cause.

There are so many beautiful photos of this lady but I have always loved this one of her wearing the famous Taylor-Burton diamond.


Her wedding looks were all lovely and she made a beautiful bride x 7. My favorite wedding was her first to Ricahrd Burton, I love the flowers wrapped all through her hair. She looked so in love.




R.I.P Elizabeth, the world will not be the same without you.

For all of you who know I love collecting autographs I do not have Elizabeth's. This was an extremely hard one to get as since her early career she had secretaries sign her autograph for her. A real shame as I would have loved to get a genuine autograph from her.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...