Monday, January 17, 2011

Brisbane floods January 2011, how it affected my area...

I am back on the air today as due to the flooding I lost telephone & internet. First off I want to send a huge thank you to everyone who sent messages checking on me & my status.


  Like everyone else I was watching the reports on television and hoping my area would be ok. Wednesday lunchtime we ventured down to the bottom of our street to see what was happening and grab some supplies before things got worse as predicted on Thursday.  Our house being on a hill meant we would be safe but I could not believe what had happened in a few hours down the bottom of the hill.  It was just heartbreaking to see an area where you have lived for 14 years and come down to everyday like this.


Baroona Road Rosalie

Cnr of Baroona & Nash St

Rosalie Deli Baroona Road

Top of Nash Street




I was in shock because I had just driven down this very street the night before and everything was dry.  Navigating our way through some back streets we made our way to Paddington Central to Woolworths. There were not that many people around but the first sign things were not as they seemed was Bakers Delight had no bread at all, nothing!!!   Woolies was the same and all the basics like bread, milk & juice were gone.  We grabbed what we could and headed home, thankful to be dry and still have power.

I could not sleep that night, I don't know if it was all the news reports talking about disaster striking at 4am or the noise of the helicopters that were constantly overhead.  I can not even remember now how I killed the time with no internet to keep me busy.   Leigh woke early and about 5am we decided to go take a look


Nash Street

Nash Street facing Baroona

Water was almost at roof level

Just near Epic Cycles further up Baroona Rd


Below is a clip from nine news of a reporter (and in an odd coincidence a work colleague of Leigh's) taking a boat ride around my local area



By Friday we were used to the choppers although it felt like we were at war.  The clean up crew did an amazing job because late Friday afternoon there was not even any mud on the road.  We drove through today on our way out and it is so sad to see all these lovely shops empty, most have signs on the windows thanking everyone for help/support.  

I would like to ask all readers of this if you have not already please donate to the flood relief.  And please support the local area of Rosalie when it gets back on its feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...