Monday, January 3, 2011

A Swan, Crowe, Rabbit and the rest of the movies I have seen of late

 In the past week we have seen quite a few good movies, of varying genres and some I have enjoyed more than others.   Here is the rundown:






The next three days is the new Russell Crowe film, a great story and lots of edge of the seat stuff. Russell is excellent in this as a man who plans to break his wife out of jail.  I would put this on any must see list.




Rabbit hole was ok.  The acting was fantastic but it is not something I would send people to see nor am I in a hurry to see it again or add it to my collection.



Love & other drugs is a rom com with a difference.  Anne & Jake were great and there are quite a few funny moments but this does deal with some serious stuff as well.


The Tourist, loved this from start to finish.  I enjoyed the story and Angelina's wardrobe was devine.  If you want action & plot twists, this is for you.



Black Swan will not be for everyone.  If you want to see a movie with a very different story aka not your run of the mill movie this is for you.  Natalie Portman was great and we really enjoyed it.  I think this is one you will either love or hate - no grey area here.

Due Date in some ways is like the classic Planes,Trains & Automobiles in that it throws 2 very different people together to travel cross country.  I only looked at it cos I am a fan of Robert's and did not expect much.  I got quite a surprise as I had several laugh out loud moments.  At a time when neither of us felt like laughing this cheered us up and distracted us for 90 mins.  Its no masterpiece cinema but it did what it was supposed to - entertain.


Somewhere, I have enjoyed several of Sofia Coppola's films especially the virgin suicides & Marie Antionette but this left me cold.  I get what she was trying to do here but this was slow to the point of boring. It reminded me of a over descriptive novel the way some scenes were so long.  I think I enjoyed this the least of everything I have seen lately.



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the run down, Nic.

    I saw the preview for The Next 3 Days and was pleasantly surprised at how good Rusty was! Will definitely watch this.

    Shame about Somewhere. I was so excited when I read Sofia's interview in the paper the other day.

    SSG xxx

    Sydney Shop Girl blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. the only one I have seen is love and other drugs. I agree that Anne and Jake did a good job, although I felt that it seemed to go on for a bit too long. Mind you I think that about most movies.. Im qutie keen to see The Next Three Days.
    I saw the preview for The Tourist and kind of keen to see that one too.. though I couldn't believe how skinny Angelina looked and how tubby Johnny Depp looked! just from the preview mind you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...